Half Way There

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lilly has been taking her Lyme medicine for two weeks now. Every morning Bill gives her fifty pills, and then at night I come after work and give her her second daily blast of pills. Two more weeks to go. She certainly got used to getting grain twice a day fast. Now when she sees me coming with the little bowl of her pill mixture, she runs right up to the gate knowing she gets something special. Although I know she's not coming for me, it is nice to have my brumby come so quickly when she sees me. Out of all the horses in the pasture, she is typically the last one to walk over to me. But not when I have the grain! Here is a shot with nosy ole Elvis in the background trying to get as close to the bowl of grain as possible. If that strand of electric fence were not there, he would have already been over to pig out. Sometimes even though the fence is there Lilly pins her ears and shakes her head at Elvis. It is amazing how streamlined and arrow-like a big horse head can get when the ears are flattened against it. Usually when Lilly makes such a fuss, ten pills come flying out of her mouth and I have to frantically gather them up from the ground. I wonder if sometimes Lilly worries that I too might be trying to steal her grain, but I don't think she does because as she is gobbling the grain mixture up, she lets me wipe dirt and bugs from her face.

All of these pictures are from last night. This is a very cute snapshot of Pokey (in front), Charlie, and Dixie (in the far back). There are looking for any possible offers of grain from Lilly's bowl. It was also around feeding time, so they are waiting for hay.
I love the stripe down Pokey's back.


These are some noodles I got at Target to make some de-sensitizing tools, ala Clinton Anderson. I have seen Clinton in person a few times. I think he loves being in front of a crowd as much as he loves horses. In any case, I was thinking I would make a curtain of these noodles and have Lilly walk under it, or get her used to me passing the curtain of noodles over her whole body. I might also make big circles out of them for her to walk through. It sounds easy, but it
might take some patience and time before she gets over her uneasy feelings about big and wobbly noodles flopping all over her. I better plan to have a pocketful of carrots and apple cookies handy!

1 comment:

Paint Girl said...

We've used the noodles before, I though my Arab Brandy wouldn't like them, but they didn't phase her.
For how long does Lilly have to take the pills? I am not real familiar with Lyme disease, we don't get it here, is it curable? What are the symptoms? This is caused by ticks right? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'd go look in my vet book but I am at work!
Have a great week!

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!