Hold On Loosely

Sunday, December 11, 2011

I work with a lot of people who could not live out in the hilltowns like I do. One of the complaints is that you have to drive so far just to get basic groceries. But look! Right in between Bill's place and mine, you will find Sidehill Farm. And here you can get milk as fresh as it comes every day of the week. Just put $5 in the ceramic crock, reach in the fridge and grab your yummy gallon.

And this time of year, you don't have to go far at all to get your Christmas tree! This is a sign for Pieropan's Christmas tree farm where we get our tree each year. Peiropan's is on of the craziest Christmas tree farm I have ever experienced. The trees are not growing in sweet little rows. They are growing in massive tangles on a steep hillside. You really take your life in your hands when you start bushwacking up there with a saw in your hand. But we love the adventure. And Mr. Pieropan.


I didn't get to ride yesterday because we are having a crisis with our oil tank and furnace. But today as soon as I could, I went over and tacked Lilly up. I headed out alone since Bill was working with Ruby in the ring and Jackie didn't have enough time to actually ride. If you are wondering what happened to Christine, she has been in school all semester and by next weekend she will be finished (YEAY!) and back on the trail. And speaking of being finished, shotgun season is over and about that I am very glad. For many reasons.


When we got close to the BP, Lilly let out a long whinny. All the horses there looked up and came running over.


I think Lilly feels reassured when we get to the BP and the Winter Pasture and finds her old friends are still out there....even though I know if I set her free in there with them, she'd try to kick at everyone.


It was cold but sunny. Here I am waving at you! Hmm, you can't even tell I am on a brumby in this picture.


There, that's much better: horse and rider!
After this I returned to the woods and galloped up the hill Lilly and I both love to run up so much. While Lilly ran, I thought of 38 Special: Hold on loosely/ But don't let go/ If you cling to tightly/ You might lose control... and I thought this totally applies to riding galloping horses as much as it does to romantic relationships.


After the gallop, surprise! We encountered Faith and Carol on the trail. I hardly ever run into them! Faith lives down the road from Bill and she is an excellent rider, and always rides english. Faith (in back) just got a new horse which is a thoroughbred. I am not sure what Carol rides. Maybe that horse is a Percheron cross of some kind. I had to keep Lilly away from them because I knew she would kick and squeal if she got too close and I suspected Faith and Carol would not appreciate that. I just hope they didn't hear me singing 38 Special as I galloped up to them!

Hope your weekend was great! And remember:

Hold on loosely
But don't let go
If you cling too tightly
You're gonna lose control
Your baby needs someone to believe in
And a whole lot of space to breathe in

Don't let your heart get in her way
Don't let her slip away

4 comments:

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

That song always cracks me up. So does the image of you singing it at the top of your lungs while galloping your brumby up the hill...

In the no brumby waving picture you look super tall - what a big 'ol skirt you're wearing. ;)

juliette said...

Back in the 80's when that song was popular, I always had it swimming in my head at lessons. There was this weird guy who also rode there and he would hold the reins so tight it was awful for his poor mare. I would think of that song. Now, I am way so over 38 special to admit that I even know that song! Ha! lol - just kidding - I do still keep that song in my head when I ride.

I can't believe how lovely your ride photos are and the milk sign and the tree sign. Heaven on earth! And!!!!! You guys allow Thoroughbreds up there?!!!! This I never knew! Now you really are in trouble because I might actually come there - tell Bill - Pie and Sovey and Foggy would love to gobble up all the grass in Big Pasture and Blueberry Pasture and Winter Pasture and all the other fabulous pastures you have. I just thought he wouldn't have us! You are so lucky to live and have a brumby there.

lmel said...

I'm always singing in the woods, usually to take Harley's mind off the big monsters hiding among the trees and rocks. Sounds like a great ride, and yes, hunting is almost done for another year--Yeah! Retire the orange for a while. Your trails rides sound awesome--lots of fun and laughs. Love the pics with the shadows. And as for living in the hills, I wish I was further from the madding crowds!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I have always loved that song and I love that you gallop down the trail on Lilly and discover riding friends out on the trails, too.
The first shadow photo looks like you're wearing a long billowing dress. hehe!

The tree sign cracked me up...looks like an adventure with just the sign. And I would love to be able to buy locally produced raw milk, too.

Just wanted to say....Merry Christmas from Lisa and the entire herd at the Laughing Orca Ranch!!

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!