Thank you, Mother Nature!

Friday, March 27, 2009

Here's what was going on at Bear River Horse Farm today in the warmth and beauty of the sunshine. I almost never get to see ALL of the horses laying down like this! If you look carefully, you can see that Ruby is totally sacked out with her feet straight out in front of her! I had already taken Lilly up to the barn when I noticed the rest of the brumbies in this major snoozefest. As soon I saw them, I left Lilly in the barn, just ground tied, while I ran to grab the photo opp. My brumby is either very well trained or very lazy because when I came back she was pretty much right where I had left her.
Today was a truly great day because I got to do my favorite equine activity of all--the Trail Ride. Lilly was excellent, only hesitiating a few times before diligently, even curiously, ambling through the remaining snow patches. A few of them were still icy so she had to sniff and snort at them for a few seconds before trudging through. She did plow though all the little steams and giant standing puddles with ease. Mellow Yello brumby. Bill had a cow bell on Ruby just in case any bears were waking up. Alarming a bear still getting his springtime mojo going could spell disasater!

One thing I did realize while out on the trail today is that it is much harder to take a decent picture while trotting or cantering through field and stream .
For instance, what was happening here?


Or, yegadz, here?! Hee hee. In my own defense I must say that the camera must play second fiddle to the reins!
I tried to practice neck reining a little while out on the road. If we are off the trail and back on the road, it is an easy place to have Lilly zigzag back and forth to the tune of a beautiful neck rein. She was just OK with the neck reining today. Sometimes when I press against her flank, she misinterprets it as me wanting her to trot. Another thing that today confirmed: Lilly does not like to walk fast. She wants to either walk her ambly little walk, or go up into a trot. Sometimes she is motivated to move faster only because doing so will get her close enough to Ruby so she can bite her. Argh, we'll have to work on that.

In the barn Lilly once again kept shoving her giant face into my chest until we were eye to eye--my little human eye and her enormous horse eye. It's like she's trying to hug me. She LOVES to have her face brushed and her thin little forelock combed. Each time I brush it, I really want to put a little pink barrette in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!