A Sarcoid for Charlie

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

One of the horses in Lilly's herd is a bay gelding named Charlie. He's very beautiful and looks a lot like Ruby, but his star is more like an oval, and he has two white socks on his back feet. He's very charming in my opinion, and last year on the trail if he got nervous about doing something new he would suddenly find great interest in eating leaves off of trees or on the ground. His own funny tactic to avoid the task at hand!









Last week Charlie went to see Dr. Schmitt at South Deerfield Animal Clinic to have a abrasiony-looking thing above his eye looked at. It was something that just wouldn't heal and go away. After a round of treatments at home, Charlie was loaded into the trailer and taken to see Doc Schmitt. He's the same Doctor who is treating Lilly's Lyme Disease.

Dr Schmitt pronounced the thing a sarcoid. And proceeded to dig it out of there!

Here he is working on a slightly drugged and droopy Charlie. I love how Charlie's forelock is wrapped in a purple bandage!








And then you see the thing out of there!! This picture is not for the faint of heart! Very nice handiwork! See ya later, Sarcoid!




Here is Charlie's soft and lovely face a few days later--complete with pink stitching!!





Let's hope this sarcoid will not make an unwelcome return!

2 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Oh my! Poor Charlie!
My sister's horse has been battling a sarcoid on the side of his face too, you might have read about it on her blog. Sarcoids are very interesting. I sure hope I never have to deal with one!
Hope Charlie has a speedy recovery and that the darn thing doesn't come back!

Pony Girl said...

My horse had a sarcoid, I think it was a "nodular occult." It wasn't big enough to be removed that way, well, she could have, but we opted to try Xxterra first which has appeared to work! Now I just have to cross my fingers that it doesn't return! ;)

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!