The Nibbler Strikes Again

Friday, June 19, 2009


The Farmer's Almanac says this summer is going to be very wet with low temps. I do not like this one bit. I like summer to be hot. And sunny. Because when it gets too wet and stays wet, my brumby could get rain rot! Or, just as evil, greasy heel!! Or scratches, or whatever it is called. One thing it doesn't look like she will have to worry about this year: sunburn.

Here are a few snapshots of my very dirty pet.


Now that is some very dirty horse hair! Not to worry--I carefully brushed all of the dirt off of her! And then we saddled up and headed out into the dark and soggy trail. We saw several newts. I hope Lilly did not trample any. They are too cute.
Out on the trail I realized that once again I was riding a Nibbler Extraordinaire
Everything Lilly saw apparently looked scrumptious! She had to attempt to eat every little sprig of greenery near her head. (And smell every heap of horse poop we saw. Blecchh.) In the end I had to get firm with Lilly and not allow it. Because a professional nibbler can set you back for hours! There were a few points on the trail where she didn't want to move forward. Her ears were straight up and looked very rabbity. She would not budge! Just this week I was watching the Parelli show on RFD-TV and Linda Parelli was talking about this very phenomenon. She called it your horse meeting a threshold. And she said you must give your horse a few moments to gather some confidence. So I gave my brumby a minute. And then another. And then another. Good grief! Finally she moved on. Good brumby.

Then we had to stop and see her buddies. That's Ruby...and Pokey in the back licking the mineral block.
Although Lilly is very rotten with all her trailside nibbling, she also does some things that are absolutely wonderful and make me want to kiss her: When I'm taking her bridle off, she always lowers her head for me. Always. And when I move to clean her rear feet, she very often will lift her foot up for me. Now that's a nice horse!
I am still trying to figure out how to post videos on this blog. When I finally figure it out, you will know!

3 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Oh, I am so mad! I just had a long comment for you and it wouldn't load, and ate my comment! Ah!
Lets try this again, I hate the rain! I am like you, prefer sun and heat, and lots of it!!
My horses don't nibble while we ride, I don't allow it. It is so nice going down our overgrown trails, and no nibbling! I love it! Oh, of course they try to sneak one in every now and than, but we put a stop to it right away. I ride with people that let their horses nibble the whole time down the trail, it slows everything way down! I prefer non nibblers! :)
I hope blogger doesn't eat this comment, I am sure I left something off from the one it ate before!

juliette said...

Lilly is the cutest, naughtiest nibbler ever! I think riding without nibbling is very difficult. Can you imagine us walking through jungles of ice cream sundaes or pizza or something yummy and gooey that we love and not even having a little nibble?

juliette said...

Paint Girl - Blogger must be a nibbler too!

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!