Welcome 2012!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

I am a firm believer that the best way to leave an old year behind and welcome a new one is on the back of a horse. So yesterday Lilly and I saluted 2011 goodbye with a ride through the woods. It was just the two of us and the dog. Right away Lilly was up to her old tricks. Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say Lilly? I meant to say The Fern Gobbler.

It wasn't cold at all, just damp. And as the ride went on and it got later in the day, some fog began to creep in.

As we passed this pasture of course Jodie had to try and stir up trouble by racing along the fence line. She is such an instigator. Lilly was luckily oblivious to all the pasture commotion, plunking along the road, probably looking for ferns.

Not a bad way to bid the year adieu at all. Since I was alone, I was able to make several stops on the trail, using my new saw to chop down branches and limbs that have annoyed me for months. I must have taken a long time because just as I got back out on the road, Bill appeared on his 4-wheeler to make sure I wasn't dead on the trail. This is what he said to me: Having a cell phone on the trail doesn't mean anything if it's not on! Sorry, Bill. I thought it was on!


New Year's Day (my sister Molly's birthday by the way!) I was back at the barn. Christine showed up with Henry (sufficiently recovered from surgery for a romp in the woods) and we headed out to ring in the new year right. Bill and Jackie were busy doing yardwork but snapped this photo on our way out. This is the best way for me to be in a photo: totally hidden.


The trail was wonderful.

Meanwhile, on the other side of our fair bay state, my friend Karen P and her horse Misty were also celebrating the holidays.


Here is Karen's beautiful mare, Misty. She is wearing rhythm bells just like my brumby's!! About a month ago, Misty (somewhere, somehow) got a needle wedged up in her foot! Can you believe it? It was some old needle from who knows when, used for sewing up sheep! It had probably been in the ground for decades!


Do you see the dastardly needle?? Oy vey, Misty! You poor dear!


Anyhoo, Misty was tended lovingly by Karen and her whole family. Does it help that Karen is a nurse? Oh yes, that is a very good career for a horse owner to have! I think Misty looks smashing in this pink dress.

Happy New Year, Everyone. May it be your best year yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great new year in your part of the world - we've got 40 mph winds and wind chills dropping below zero tonight - I suppose to make up for all the good weather we've had this winter so far! The best to you and yours in 2012!

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

That first picture made me dizzy. ;)

I concur about starting the new year on horseback - nothing better in this world... SO nice to have a friend like Bill watching out for you and your brumby.

Looking forward to hearing about your life in the bay state in the coming year. Very best wishes to you and yours for 2012!

(((♡♡♡)))

lmel said...

Looks like a nice day for a ride--just like ours up here in Maine, warm and dank. But what a great way to start the new year, atop a horse! Great photos in the fog!

Ranch Girl Diaries said...

I love the photos of the horse in the fog!! ;-) Did you use a small digital or a DSLR?
That is some scary needle! Did it abscess? I am glad you had a great ride!! I hope you had a merry holiday and a wonderful year of 2012 blessings I wish upon you and yours!! xo

Once Upon an Equine said...

"Fern Gobber"..that is funny. What a great way to ring in the new year - a trail ride for you and a trip to the salad bar for Lilly. She is a character. Glad you had a nice ride.

That's a crazy xray of Misty's hoof. Hope she mends well.

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!