Conformation Clinic

Sunday, May 10, 2009

In one of the horse magazines I get every month, there is a regular column where you get to try and guess the best conformation of three horses pictured. I never pick the right one. I think I just pick the horse that I think is the dearest, or the prettiest. Some of the experts doing the evaluation talk about superimposing a trapezoid over the horse's profile to help you see if he is balanced or not. So today I snapped some pictures of Lilly so I could superimpose a trapezoid over her. Trapezoidal brumby!! I have always wanted to send a picture of Lilly in to the magazine. I think she would get very high marks for having such a pretty and feminine head.

Here she turned her head when Bill's wife Jackie came up the driveway. I am always very proud of how well Lilly stays ground tied. Even with Jackie's car zooming up behind her, Lilly did not move her feet.

Today it was exceptionally windy. Lilly was fine with it, but it can be a big distraction for me. Everything seems so much harder with the wind howling in my ear. I did my best to ignore it. We worked with the noodles, and then I set up a bunch of poles for Lilly to sidepass over. I think she remembered what we had done yesterday because she sidepassed perfectly. When I got on her back to do the same thing however, the results were not so successful. She kept trying to sidepass in the opposite direction! Grrrrr! I kept trying to create an "open door" in the direction I wanted her to go. Finally she did it right two times. So I left it at that.

Lilly after our lesson doing what she can to get to some nice grass.

I could watch her nibble grass forever.



2 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Miss Lilly, beautiful as always!
I always try to guess correctly at the conformation article in the magazine too. I am usually off by one! I had to judge conformation for 4-H when I was young, never did too well!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

that is a really pretty Tobiano!

Thanks for visiting me today as well!

Jan

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!