Brumbies and Toads

Monday, June 8, 2009


I found a photo of some real brumbies. Aren't they magnificent??

I am also writing to give you an update on the toad identification. I came home and got out the Peterson's Guide to reptiles and amphibians. I am 100% certain that what we saw was the American Toad (Bufo americanus). Peterson claims that these toads are mostly plain brown and a wee bit homely but that females can be gaily patterned. So I think the pretty little Bufo we saw was a female.
It is indeed very strange to pair wild brumbies with little warty toads.

3 comments:

juliette said...

Brumbies and toads! Who knew they went so well together! The Brumbies are lovely...and the toads...well, they are...toads!

Anonymous said...

I love identifying plants and wildlife - thanks for the beautiful toad! Loved the brumbies, too!

Paint Girl said...

Cute toad! And thanks for showing us some wild brumbies!

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!