Rats! It's Sunday Already.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

For Christmas Brandon gave me a very serious looking pair of binoculars, and a giant pair of saddle bags for Lilly so I could carry them around. Add to this Christine's handy guide to birds, trees, and other creatures, and we were all set when we took off today. Here is a picture I took to show Lilly's saddle bags. This was the first official time she wore them. I didn't have the binoculars but Christine did bring the guide book, so into the saddle bags it went! We actually saw a little toad hopping along the trail and quickly got the book out to attempt an identification! It was the prettiest little toad ever. We concluded it might be a wood toad based on a photo in the book.

Look, here's the saddle bag as seen from in the saddle! Looks a little dusty, doesn't it? In that one I just had a little tube of bug spray. So when we cantered the bug spray rattled around in the bag like a maraca. My brumby seemed to think nothing of our new instrument.
This green picture below is why I love June so much! The green grass, the sweet weather. Christine and I had a great ride today. You can see the tips of Lilly's ears in this picture! They are always sneaking in! Today she was wearing a purple fly bonnet that Christine gave her last year. It is actually beaded and looks very sparkly and ladylike.


Here are the two ladies! QTee has been such a strong and gentle influence on Lilly. We are lucky to have her, Lilly and me. I sure haven't mastered even my little simple Kodak camera! If I had, you'd actually be able see the horses! Lately, my camera karma has been rearing it's ugly head again! Yesterday the camera wouldn't even turn on! And now it seems to flash on a whim. Oooh dear.

Parting shot: Jackie's lovely peonies! Here is an excerpt from a Mary Oliver poem about peonies:
Do you also hurry, half-dressed and barefoot, into the garden,
and softly, and exclaiming of their dearness, fill your arms with the white and
pink flowers,
with their honeyed heaviness, their lush trembling, their
eagernessto be wild and perfect for a moment, before they arenothing, forever?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love those saddle bags! I love to identify birds and everything else I see, so that would be a great idea - except that I'll have to figure a way to secure them to my English close contact saddle - perhaps have some D rings sewn in.

Love the purple fly bonnet! - our Lily used to wear a bonnet (black I believe) when she was showing in jumpers.

Paint Girl said...

Another great ride for you! I got new saddle bags for Christmas, nice leather ones. But they need to go to a leathersmith, is that what they are called? to put holes in so I can attach them to my saddle. I don't trust my OH much putting holes in leather! I've seen what he does to everything else! Ha!
I have to tell you a secret, well, I can't tell it all yet, but in the next couple days I will be posting about it! It has to do with pink, someone you really like, and I had the best time! Can you guess what it is?

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here about my bay state brumby!